Welcome to the Rise Up, Get Started entrepreneurship matching grant program for formerly incarcerated people. Thank you for your interest and for doing good for yourself and others.
You know that you could be a successful business owner, Rise Up, Get Started, will help you take a first step in the right direction and give you the connections you need to thrive.
For this matching grant program, you are working on a simplified business plan, beginning to take steps to make your ideas a reality, and saving $300 that we will TRIPLE to put toward your business endeavor.
- Applications open: Tuesday, February 16
- Applications due: Tuesday, March 16
- Announce 15 accepted second chance entrepreneurs: Tuesday, March 23
- Savings & review period:Wednesday, March 24 – Wednesday, June 30
- Full business and action plan due: Thursday, July 1
- Rise Up, Get Started Entrepreneurship Showcase: Thursday, July 22
Questions? Contact Leslie Walton, Entrepreneur Success Manager for Determination, Incorporated: firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-281-7898
- Applications are now closed.
- On Thursday, March 18, we will announce the first batch of 15 second chance entrepreneurs who will participate in the first round of the Rise Up, Get Started Matching Grant Program.
- Applicants will be chosen based on their eligibility for the program, the feasibility of their business goals, the thoroughness of their application, their proven dedication toward their business endeavor, and their involvement in the Be the Boss business support group community (participants must attend at least two virtual meetings before receiving the initial investment).
- Participants will receive $150 as an initial “investment” in their entrepreneurial toolbelt.
- The participant will begin saving toward their $300 goal to put toward their business, attending Be the Boss virtual workshops (see the schedule), and working on the full application.
- When the savings are complete, submit the full application and Determination, Incorporated will provide feedback and questions for your consideration then be in touch to triple your savings with a $600 “investment”!
- The participant will continue working on and building their business and ready themselves to share their journey at the Rise Up, Get Started Entrepreneurship Showcase on Thursday, July 22!
What second chance entrepreneurs gain from the Rise Up, Get Started Entrepreneurship matching grant program:
- $750 to put toward your business (plus the $300 you save)
- Education and accountability from Be the Boss business support group community
- Feature in Determination, Incorporated High Five Thursday newsletter and social media
- A showcase in the Second Chance entrepreneur digital public directory
- Introduction to business mentor
- Business and action plan to move your business forward
- Optional: interview on “Own It: Starting a business after prison” podcast
- Optional: Case management (including goal setting & potential help with rent/utilities or medical costs) &/or therapy services from Reconciliation Services
This round of the Rise Up, Get Started Matching Grant Program is made possible thanks to a generous gift from the Impact KC giving circle. Learn more: