On Tuesday evening we wrapped up our business grant competition with the Rise Up, Get Started Entrepreneurship Showcase on Facebook Live. You can watch the entire broadcast now on Youtube.
After hearing stories and pitches from second chance entrepreneurs, we awarded four $1000 grants to the business owners who rose to the top in our competition:
- Sean Gasaway: JEFE, LLC provides full outdoor property maintenance & beautification, including: landscaping, tree pruning, lawn care, leaf, brush, & snow removal.
- Na’im Al-Amin: Personal Legends, LLC sells fashionable apparel that is culturally relevant, socially conscious and authentic, that supports SWAGG INC., a non profit that advocates for criminal justice reform.
- Samuel Lane: Lane Contracting, LLC provides painting services, specializing in interior & exterior, residential & commercial projects. (Visit the website.)
- Brandon Webb: Freshly Made Scents sells natural products from natural ideas to natural people that want fresh ideas. Products include perfume oils, Beard oil, Black seed oil, and hand creams. (Follow on Instagram.)
Watch the announcement and the full Rise Up, Get Started Entrepreneurship Showcase:
CONGRATULATIONS to the four winners and to all of the second chance entrepreneurs in the competition. We will continue to work with each of them and will reach our entrepreneurial goals together:
- Tanesha Shanta Whitelaw, Natural hair 4:13
- Sean L Frye, Stopnchop Lawn Care
- Antonio Britton, Artistic Tones
- Stephanie Manlimos, Breathtaking Wallplay
- Teresa Conard, Scrapbook Nostalgia
- Daniel M.Cody, Dan Your Professional Man
- Elsie Coleman-Hamilton, LSI BEAUTY BAR
- Michael Mosley, @Mikemo816
- Yvette Johnsom, My Brothers Keeper
- Shannon Weiss-Osborn, Wize Choice Oil & Brakes
- Brent Letts, Letts Code
Thank you for believing in our entrepreneurial support community. This summer we will go into a season of listening as we work with each of our business owners and together create the next stage of our work.
… … …
Support second chance entrepreneurs by investing in Determination, Incorporated.
Sign up to receive second chance entrepreneur stories in your inbox in our High Five Thursday newsletter.
Determination, Incorporated is a 501C3 nonprofit in KCMO empowering formerly incarcerated people to seize employment and entrepreneurial opportunities in home building, home improvement, and affordable housing. To learn more, contact us here.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.